Farming Independent recently reported about a farm who unfortunately lost calves because of lead poisoning. The O’Hanlon family lost calves because of lead which had leaked out of broken car batteries. The batteries are believed to have been dumped there. Dumping on farmland is a massive problem as it causes problems for farmers but in this case 20 calves sadly died before the batteries were found and removed.
NI Direct gives the following advice for the disposal of car batteries:
All shops that sell large amounts of household batteries must provide a collection bin for used batteries. You may also be able to put old batteries in your regular household recycling bins or take them to a waste and recycling centre.
Car batteries should also be taken to a waste and recycling centre. Some shops that sell car batteries also accept old batteries for recycling. Check when you buy a new car battery to see if the shop will recycle your old battery for you. (Source)
The O’Hanlon family thanked neighbours and farmers for helping them search the fields. Click here to read the full story from the Farming Independent.